Job title: Banking Associate (Venture & Growth Finance)
Company: Osborne Clarke
Job description: Department: Banking
Job Title: Associate
“They’re excellent to deal with, collegiate in their approach and proactive.” – Chambers & Partners
We have an exciting new opportunity for an Associate to join our highly regarded Banking team in London.
The successful candidate will become part of our rapidly growing, market-leading venture and growth finance practice and will focus primarily on venture and growth financings but should also expect to gain exposure to OC Banking team’s other core offerings including leveraged finance and ABL transactions acting for commercial bank, credit fund and alternative lenders, corporate borrowers and PE/VC clients.
Osborne Clarke is an international law firm which has a market leading reputation in a wide range of areas due to its integral sector focused approach. For example, we have dedicated experts in all of our key sectors of Tech, Media & Communications; Energy and Utilities; Financial Services and Real Estate and Infrastructure.
With over 850+ talented lawyers across 24 different offices, OC continues to build out its fast growing international footprint. The firm is accredited with growing out its talent and is widely recognised as having a “can do” attitude with a great culture.
“Co-ordinated and efficient team of highly competent and knowledgeable individuals.” – Chambers & Partners
OC’s Banking team is a well-established market leading practice that has enjoyed remarkable growth over the last 10 years. The team regularly advise a wide range of lenders including all of the UK major clearing banks and a number of debt funds. The strength of our relationships on the sponsor side in all of our chosen sectors also means that we are perfectly placed to advise a number of high-profile borrower side clients both nationally and internationally.
Our venture and growth debt finance team has strength in depth and experience, having been advising in the European venture and growth space for over a decade and having played a key role in developing venture and growth loan documentation for the leading lenders in the European market. In addition to having panel appointments for a number of institutional lenders in the space, we have an impressive portfolio of borrower-side mandates off the back of our leading international venture and growth capital practice.
The team advises on venture and growth finance products provided to some of the most innovative scale-ups and high growth businesses across Europe, the US and Israel, advising through our global network of international offices and other trusted law firms to provide seamless transactional support on cross-border financings. The successful candidate would gain exposure to different venture and growth lending products available including term loans, receivables based financings and recurring revenue facilities and lending in the technology and life sciences sectors, including lending to SaaS, FinTech and enterprise technology businesses.
The wider team advises on leveraged finance, general corporate lending, fund finance, asset-based lending and real estate finance.
Located across our London, Bristol and Thames Valley offices, the UK banking team currently consists of 9 Partners, 1 Legal Director, 3 Associate Directors, 8 Senior Associates, 8 Associates, 4 Trainee Solicitors, 3 Paralegals and 1 Solicitor Apprentice.
- Advising US bank lender on its venture and growth lending in the UK and wider Europe on entry into the market including working with the client to develop its suite of template UK and German loan documents.
- Advising US bank lender (acting via its UK branch) and US technology-focused credit fund on a $20m venture debt facility provided to UK head-quartered cloud / cloud data warehouse data integration and transformation solutions provider.
- Advising US headquartered mobile data and analytics platform on English aspects of its venture debt facility with US bank lender.
- Advising UK telecoms scale-up, Natterbox, on its growth finance facilities with Clydesdale Bank.
- Advising bank lender and European growth debt fund on multi-jurisdictional senior and mezzanine growth financing facilities provided to a leading UK headquartered digital consumer intelligence company.
- Advising bank lender on term and formula based revolving credit facilities provided to a members-only online travel flash sales company to finance its European expansion including advising on English law and German law aspects and project managing external counsel legal support in two other European jurisdictions.
- Advising bank lender on facilities provided to a UK headquartered software testing and monitoring company throughout its life cycle, starting with venture debt facilities through to supporting the client on the primary buy-out of the borrower by a private equity investor and finally on exit via a secondary buy-out.
- Advising bank lender on a multi-jurisdictional growth financing facility provided to a Danish consumer review website.
Technical skills and experience
You will have gained a broad range of experience in a high quality specialist Banking team. No specific experience in venture and growth financing is required as training will be provided.
As a guide, due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking to appoint an Associate in this area, although we will consider candidates with more or less experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke LLP we welcome direct applications – if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Angharad Jenkins in the Recruitment team on [email protected]
At we value difference and encourage applicants from all social backgrounds, ethnicities, disabilities, gender identities, and sexual or romantic orientations. We want everyone to feel that OC is a place where you can be yourself and where you belong, and our range of interest groups and diversity networks – not to mention our great teams – are a part of making that a reality.
We support working families via a range of family and caring friendly policies and will accommodate flexible working where we can. We value the health and wellbeing of our people: for example, we’re signatories to the Mindful Business Charter, have an active network of mental health champions and offer free initiatives and flexible benefits to all our people.
Being an inclusive employer is important to us. We have made a number of external commitments such as the Race Fairness Commitment and Women in Law Pledge, and are working with organisations like Stonewall to become a more inclusive employer.
Osborne Clarke is a Living Wage Employer, so we’re committed to paying everybody in our business enough to live on and to enable them to save for the future.
We want you to be able to show us your best during the recruitment
process. If you require any adjustments to be made during the application, interview process or when working with us, please let us know.
Job date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 05:52:00 GMT
Apply for the job now!